In remembrance of those who have enriched our ancestral legacy



Wednesday, April 28, 2010

THE WILL OF LUKE HUGGINS
JONES COUNTY, NORTH CAROLINA

Written 8 March 1784
Proven December 1784

In the name of God Amen the eighth day of March 1784 I LUKE HUGGINS of Jones County in the State of North Carolina being in health of body and of perfect mind and memory thanks be given to God therefore calling to mind the mortality of my body and knowing that it is appointed for all men once to die do make and ordain this my last will and Testament in manner and form as follows:

Imprimis I lend unto my beloved wife NELLY HUGGINS all my Lands with the plantation I now live on also all the rest of my estate of all kind whatsoever during her natural life or widowhood.

I give unto my Daughter PHEBE SHELFER one shilling sterling money

I give unto my Daughter SARAH STANDLEY one shilling sterling money

I give unto my Daughter NELLIE LITTLETON one shilling sterling money

I give unto my Son JAMES HUGGINS one shilling and heirs forever

I give unto my Son LUKE HUGGINS one shilling sterling to him and heirs

I give unto my Son ISAAC HUGGINS one shilling sterling to him and his heirs

I give unto my Son JACOB HUGGINS the plantation I now live on with all the rest of my Lands to him his heirs and assigns forever

I give all the rest of my estate of all kinds whatsoever to my five youngest Children ESTHER HUGGINS, HANNA HUGGINS, THOMAS HUGGINGS, CHARLES HUGGINS, and TEMPERANCE HUGGINS to be equally divided among them at my wife's Death or marriage

Likewise I constitute and ordain SIMON SPIGHT and JOHN PARRY Executors of this my last will and Testament I do hereby utterly revoke and disanull all other Wills or Testaments ratifying and confirming this and no other as my last Will and Testament in witness whereof I have [sworn] to set my hand and Seal this day and year above written

LUKE HUGGINS (seal)

Signed sealed published and declared as his last will and Testament in the presence of the Subscribers

NATHAN (X) BRYAN
WAXELL (X) PARRY
ADONIJAH PARRY

State of North Carolina Jones County Court Decr term 1784
Then was the written last WIll and Testament of LUKE HUGGINS deceased duly proved in Decr Court by the Oaths of NATHAN BRYAN and ADONIJAH Parry two of the subscribing witnesses agreeable to law and SIMON SPIGHT one of the named executors qualified as such agreeable to Ordered that Letters _____ accordingly

Test LEW. BRYAN CC [Clerk of the Court]

Jones County Will Book A, pp. 40-42